Palo Alto, CA – July 12, 2017
As a follow-up to our comprehensive 2015 and 2016 reports, WCP is pleased to announce the publication of its mid-year 2017 Ad Tech Market Update. The new report again highlights industry dynamics, news and M&A drivers, and includes comprehensive data on M&A transactions, private placements, and buyers.
In addition to its industry coverage, WCP continues to be active on the advisory side, having represented Smaato in its $148M acquisition by China-based Spearhead Marketing (closed December 2016).
Key Takeaways of the 2017 Report Include:
- Overall industry growth remains strong, especially for mobile app, video, programmatic (including header bidding), location-based, and cross-device advertising
- Many companies are experiencing slower growth because Facebook and Google continue to capture most of the increased ad spending
- Major industry issues: transparency, measurement, viewability, fraud, privacy and ad blocking
- Investment amounts and valuations, both in the public and private markets, have broadly declined
- M&A activity has continued in 2017, although at a slower pace than in 2016 and 2015
- China buyers, very active in 2016, have withdrawn, perhaps due to government factors
- PE firms have become more active as companies have grown and achieved profitability, whereas valuations have generally declined
- Other strategic buyer groups, including telecom, marketing clouds and traditional media, have increased their M&A efforts
- Key M&A drivers include the need to achieve scale, move into higher growth areas (mobile, video), expand data/location capabilities, increase differentiation, broaden value proposition, demonstrate online and offline ROI, and expand internationally
To view the full report, click here.
Ron Heller, Managing Director
Woodside Capital Partners
About Ron Heller
Ron has 20+ years of investment banking experience, primarily advising technology companies on mergers and acquisitions and private placements. Ron has closed 60+ transactions with a total value in excess of $1 billion. During the last several years, Ron has focused on the digital advertising and marketing sectors, leading transaction engagements for Smaato, Spotzot, Sense Networks, Get It Mobile, LSF Interactive, Digital Trends, Future Publishing, and Zuberance.
About Woodside Capital Partners
Woodside Capital Partners is a leading global, independent investment bank that delivers world-class strategic and financial advice to emerging growth companies in the technology sectors, as well as institutional technology research services marketed as techView. With a strong track record in M&A, strategic partnerships and private placements, Woodside Capital Partners has been providing worldwide investment banking services since 2001 with leading domain experience in software, Internet services, digital media, electronics, communications and materials. Securities transactions are offered through Woodside Capital Securities LLC, a registered broker-dealer and member of FINRA and SIPC, and through Woodside Capital Partners UK LLP, a financial services firm authorized and regulated by the FSA. Woodside Capital Partners International LLC, Woodside Capital Securities LLC, and Woodside Capital Partners UK LLP are affiliated companies.
NOTICE: No information herein is a recommendation that any particular individual should purchase or sell any particular security in any amount or at all, and is not a solicitation of any offer to purchase or sell from or to any particular individual.